Temple in the background

Monday, November 28, 2011

Good Times and Gratitude


About two weeks ago we were invited to the home of some people in our ward(they also live in our gated community). I was a little bit nervous to have my first experience with Honduran food in front of people from our ward but it turned out to be right up my alley. It was basically scrambled eggs, beans, ham, and cream cheese that you eat in a tortilla. This is apparently a pretty typical meal. Before we ate they had their 9-year-old son(Caden's new best friend) give a fhe lesson. We started with a hymn. From a technical perspective it sounded terrible. The missionaries were there and they were way off key and the other family didn't quite know the tune of the song. Tom and I tried to help but we were unsuccessful. It was also one of the most spiritual experiences I have had down here. I was sitting in a room where I didn't understand much of what was going on but as we sang this beautiful hymn I didn't feel so alone and the spirit was very strong despite the lack of musical ability. They have become our good friends and we are excited to continue getting to know them.

We invited another family from our ward over for Thanksgiving. Tom and I have a new appreciation for our mothers and grandmothers that cook this meal every year. We are also extremely grateful for the Internet. Youtube, Skype, and various other websites got us through this meal. Tom gave us a B+ for the final meal, I think considering our lack of experience we deserve an A for effort. It is a lot of work!This is the Flores family. Nadia has been a wonderful friend to me. She speaks English and is so amazing.
Caden earned a trip to the Children's museum and we ran into Santa Claus (the Latino Santa Claus). He was so excited (even though he looks terrified in the picture). We are trying to get into the Christmas spirit but it is so hard when it is 80 degrees outside.

Connor and I have been enjoying exploring the neighborhood every morning. He has changed a lot in the last 3 months. He is such a sweet little boy but he is perfecting the art of the tantrum.
I am most thankful for these three boys. I think I can live anywhere in the world (if I have to) as long as I have my boys with me.
Caden is getting smarter and sillier every day. He is so full of curiosity and imagination-I love it!


I have to admit that Thanksgiving Day was pretty rough. I wanted to be home so badly and I got a little bit down. A few days later as I was sitting in church I realized that I have so much to be grateful for. I was sitting among devoted Saints who still use latrines and live in houses that are probably 600 square feet. If they can find joy and meaning even in poverty, then I should be able to remain grateful even if I miss one Thanksgiving.

2 comments:

Trish Hull said...

It sounds like very day is a new aventure and challenge. I am so proud of you for hanging in there through the rough times and enjoying the good times. Sometimes that can be very hard to do. I love and miss you so much. (I really needed to holler today) Give your boys big hugs for me.

Rachel said...

Cadens smile in the first picture makes me laugh out loud, how can you ever get mad at that kid ;)