Temple in the background

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Trip to Tela


When I first got to Honduras I was pretty disappointed. Tegucigalpa did not quite fit into my idea of what it would be like in Central America. It turns out that one must leave the big city in order to really appreciate this beautiful country. We had the opportunity to go to a town called Tela last weekend. It was a short trip but we had a lot of fun and were able to see a lot of different places. Tom and I are currently watching "LOST" and so many parts of this country look exactly like the island in LOST. I am sad that these pictures do not really show how beautiful it is.
We did not tell Caden anything about the trip until we woke him up at 6 am (he is starting to stay up really late if he is excited for the next day). He was so excited to go to the beach that he behaved extremely well on the 5 hour drive. Long drives do not seem as bad when there is beautiful scenery all around you. (sorry Central Utah) We stopped by a Garifuna village(San Juan) to have lunch and they played at the beach for a few minutes.
Everyone wanted seafood (except me, of course, but I went along anyway). This was Tom's meal-looking at it still makes me gag.
Connor was a bit nervous at first but he quickly adapted. He loved throwing the sand into the ocean. This is at a different Garifuna village (Ensenada). As we were driving away from this village I looked out my window and saw this little outdoor restaurant (slightly run down) with a group of men gathered around a small t.v. watching a futbol game. Suddenly a chicken walked through the restaurant and it all seemed so surreal to me. It is definitely a very simple way of life in these small towns.
Body surfing on the sand.
Caden loved playing in the water. His dad is so nice to take him wherever he wants to go. I did not get into the water but I wish that I had. It was definitely hotter than we were expecting. Humidity and I are officially not friends.
These are our friends/tour guides Cristina and Obed. They were so nice to take this trip with us. They have spent a lot of time traveling all over the country and they know all of the good places to go. I felt a lot safer having them with us. They are also a lot of fun. Cristina is a newscaster here so she is kind of famous (and beautiful).



Of course I spent most of time chasing these cute little footprints.





All my children need to be happy is sand and water. I think we may have to relocate to a beach town.

3 comments:

Kandace said...

Hi Lisa, Everyone looks so happy in the pictures. What fun memories you are making. I am glad that you are getting to see some of the more beautiful places in Hondorus. Caden and Connor look like they are loving life at the beach. Thanks again for blogging Lisa, it makes my day to sit down at the computer and see that you have posted again. Love it!!!! Miss you all

Allison said...

How fun! And so funny that you didn't tell Caden until that morning. Maybe mom and dad would be okay living by a beach too, not just the boys? :)

Trish Hull said...

What a great day. I love the beautiful beach. I loved the beach growing up but after we left California I hardly ever had the opportunity to see one again. The great salt lake just doesn't cut it. I am so glad you had a chance for fun. Next time get in the water you will love it.The boys look happy and growing up so much, have a great week. We love and miss you .