Temple in the background

Friday, April 13, 2012

Sometimes you have to improvise...

Holidays can be rough when you are away from family. It is even more difficult when the products you associate with the holiday are not available. Luckily, I am learning how to improvise.
We decorated sugar cookies with friends. (Or 3 little kids ate a lot of frosting while I frosted cookies)

We made dye with food coloring and vinegar to color Easter eggs. We eat a lot of eggs so I was only willing to give up 6 for this activity, but we still had fun.


I was unable to find plastic eggs so I made them out of strips of paper and then taped candy to them. Caden had an Easter egg hunt at school the week before and was apparently traumatized because when I told him we were doing one he freaked out. He thought Connor would get all of the eggs and all of the candy. (apparently he was not terribly successful at school)
As it turned out Caden got virtually all of the eggs because Connor had no idea what was going on and was fairly content to watch Caden.

Easter baskets were made from recycled Halloween buckets and paper.
I guess this is Caden's new camera face. We were very happy that the Easter Bunny found us in Honduras. Although my children saw me buy all of the stuff for their Easter baskets so I didn't even mention the easter bunny. Maybe next year I can be more secretive.
Typical easter dinner: ham (not here, chicken will have to work), potatoes (check-possibly our only success), homemade rolls (would be better if we had gluten). It was still delicious.


It has started raining quite a bit down here. Every time it rains we lose power. Thank heavens for ipads and innotabs. What did we do when the power went out before technology? We need to invest in flashlights and candles, it might be a long rainy season.




Thanks to my wonderful husband both of my children now have a serious love of golfing. Connor has even developed his own swing. I am thinking of calling it 'the sweeper.' Watch out Bubba, my kids are impressive!

3 comments:

Trish Hull said...

That is one awesome golfer there. I am almost that good. LOL. You are so amazing. I would have just stuck the candy in a bowl. Next Easter will be super fun! Parties at both grandmas I am sure. Love you lots and lots. You know your baby brother is a full grown adult now-no longer a "teen" Sigh.... I am getting old

Allison said...

Well done with the improvising! I laughed out loud about Caden not wanting to compete with Connor in an Easter egg hunt, that is too funny!
Let's both be in the same city some day and send all the boys golfing so we can go shopping and get pedicures!

Rachel said...

You make the holidays so fun for the boys they prob have no idea that anything is different, like paper eggs....hahah. We saw bubba watson in an interview and he said he started golfing at like 5 yrs old because his mom wouldnt let his dad go unless he took him with, i looked at erik and said when the boys are older you can golf whenever you want...as long as you take the boys with you....hahaha. Love you, miss you