Temple in the background

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

What a day!

Our trip to Honduras started off so well that I knew something bad was bound to happen. As always, I was right. Our first day of travel was flawless. Even moving 16 suitcases was a relatively smooth process. We were able to fly first class because it was cheaper to fly first class and bring luggage than to fly coach and have to pay for your bags. On his last trip to Honduras, Tom asked the airline how many bags you could check if you were flying first class. They told him he could bring 3. We had four tickets and as we packed it just seemed easier to bring a lot of stuff than to have to buy it when we got here. I was wrong. We flew Continental airlines and had no problem checking all of our luggage at the airport in Salt Lake City. However on our second day of travel we got to the Houston airport and they told us we could only check 2 bags each. No amount of reasoning worked with these people. We had to pay 400 dollars to get on our flight.
As it turns out it is extremely difficult to move 16 suitcases, plus 4 bags, 2 children, 2 car seats and a stroller. We looked ridiculous. We finally got our luggage in the car and I finally felt relieved. This was premature. The house we will be staying in is not available until Oct 10th so they took us to an aparthotel (name is almost as clever as the name of my blog). It is basically a temporary apartment and it is on the third floor with no elevator. I cannot even count the number of times today that I asked myself why I brought so much crap.
I have heard people complain about cities that are not based on a grid system (like Salt Lake City) that just have street names. Well Tegucigalpa (I will refer to it as Tegus from now on-thats what they call it here) does not even have street names. Apparently they just use landmarks to get around. Yes, I am positive that we will get lost frequently.
I can't post any pictures because my camera battery charger was involved in a chocolate milk accident and is not currently working. All you get are the ramblings of a very tired woman who is staring at 16 suitcases wondering why in the world she brought so much crap! Adios!

6 comments:

Amy said...

Oh Lisa, I am so sorry. I can't even imagine what a pain it was. I always do 3 suitcases, a stroller and one child, and that is tough!! I am glad you guys made it tho:) Can't wait to hear abou more of your adventures!

Andrea said...

What a story! I'm glad you made it there with all those suitcases . . . even though you're cursing yourself for all "that crap". : ) When you have kids, you need a lot of stuff.
$400 ?!? That's insane!
How's the food? Rice and beans?

Janie Mann said...

Yay, you made it! Can't wait to hear more about your adventures. Sorry about the stressful day/s. I was definitely thinking about you!

Trish Hull said...

Is that the Honduras temple? I had no idea it was that far along.

Trish Hull said...

PS I am sorry I am so crappy at skype. I work tonight but maybe will be home in the afternoon for a bit and try and contact you. ARRGHH I am so technology challenged.Is the chat not working? Have you seen all my texts?

Randi said...

Well, I'm glad you all made it safely, and your luggage too :) That does not sound like a day I would want to go through, but I think your experience there will greatly override it and be lots of fun. I can't wait to hear more about your adventures!